2012
Participating Institutions
 
 
466.Franz de Beul was born in 1949 in Termonde, Belgium and died in Brussels in 1919. He was especially known for his paintings of pastoral landscapes throughout the European countryside.The style in which de Beul painted is a derivative of the Barbizon School, a movement started by a group of artists in the mid 1800's outside of the town of Barbizon, southwest of Paris. De Beul's artwork captures the rituals of daily life with attention to detail and regard for composition. These four oils are owned by the Janesville Art League, Janesville, Wisconsin.
           

Franz de Beul "The Shepherdess"
H. 25" x W. 32" Before Treatment

W. deLeenders "After the Storm"
H. 20" x W. 28" Before treatment
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment
           

S. Werlein "On the Canal"
H. 18" x W. 22" Before Treatment

Connaway "Fury of the Sea"
H. 16" x W. 20" Before treatment
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment
           
           


           

467. Paul Lauterbach, born 1878 in Saxony, worked as a porcelain painter before coming to the U.S. in 1925. Settling in Milwaukee, he became interested in local history and often painted pictures of early life in Milwaukee. He was a WPA Federal Art Project artist during the Depression.

An important early Milwaukee painter and etcher in the Munich realist style, Frank Enders studied at the Munich Academy and with Henry Vianden, prominent Milwaukee artist for whom Enders worked as a sign painter. From 1879 to 1884, he studied in Munich at the Academy with Alois Gabl, historical and genre painter, and Wilhelm von Lindenschmidt, historical, landscape and genre artist. Upon his return to Milwaukee, he set up a studio at 55 Oneida Street and became active in the Milwaukee Art. His beautiful below portrait fluoresces with his Munich training. All of the below oils are owned by the Museum of Wisconsin Art, West Bend, Wisconsin.

           

Paul Lauterbach "Bathers"
H. 33" x W. 45" Before Treatment

Victor Volk "Soldiers' Home"
H. 24" x W. 30" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment
           

Frank Enders "Portrait of a Woman"
H. 18" x W. 14" Before Treatment

Victor Volk "Self-Portrait"
H. 24" x W. 16" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment
           
           


           
468. This portrait depicts Ann Streeter Wood, the wife of John Wood, the twelfth governor of Illinois. The oil is owned by the Historical Society of Quincy and Adams County, Quincy, Illinois. Very little is known about Ann but John's father was a Revolutionary soldier who served as a Surgeon and Captain in the army. John was elected lieutenant-Governor of Illinois in 1859 on the same ticket with Governor Bissell, and served out the unexpired term of the latter, who died in office. He was succeeded by Richard Yates in 1861. In February of that year he was appointed one of the five Commissioners from Illinois to the "Peace Conference" at Washington, to consider methods for averting civil war. He served in the Civil War and later died in Quincy on June 11, 1880.

Anon. "Ann Streeter Wood"
H. 24" x W. 20" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

After Treatment
           
           


           
469. Calvin College in Grand Rapids, Michigan has a varied and outstanding collection. Treatments have been carried out on Dutch 17th century pieces, 19th century Dutch school paintings, and the below more contemporary items.
           

Che "Untitled"
H.46" x W. 42" After

Weidnaar "Street Scene"
H. 9" x W. 12" After

Che "Untitled"
H. 50" x W. 42" After
           
           


           
470. The Scholte House, Pella, Iowa, built in the winter and spring of 1847-1848, was the fulfillment of a promise Dominie Hendrik Scholte made to his wife Mareah to alleviate her homesickness and disappointment. He had promised to build her a house with all the comforts of the home she had left in The Netherlands. Remaining much as it was in Pella's early days, some rooms now play different roles, and others have been added. In this treasured house lies much of the earliest history of de kolonie. Since the Scholte house was built in 1848, some of its 22 rooms have always been occupied by Scholte descendants. The last Scholte descendant to live in the house was Leonora Gaass Hettinga. She and her brother and sister-in-law, Peter and Norma Gaass, then gave the house to the Pella Historical Society in 1979 for use as a museum. These two oils are part of the museum's collection and have been painted by one of Iowa's greatest artists, G. H. Nollen.
           

G. H. Nollen "Landscape with Coach"
H. 16" x W. 21" Before Treatment

G. H. Nollen "River Scene"
H. 16" x W. 21" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment
           
           


Home, Page 95, 96, 97

 





Barry Bauman Conservation
Contact: Mr. Barry Bauman
1122 N. Jackson Ave., River Forest, IL. 60305
Ph.(708)771-0382  Fax.(708)771-1532
e-mail:barrybbc7@yahoo.com