2011
Participating Institutions
 
 
446. Randolph Coats (1891-1957) was born in Richmond, Indiana and by 1917 was considered a professional painter. He studied at Herron School of Art in Indianapolis with William Forsyth, of the Hoosier Group. He also studied at the Cincinnati Academy of Fine Arts under Frank Duveneck (1848 - 1919) where he taught for four years. He also taught at the Herron School of Art. In addition to his landscapes, Coats was well-known for his portrait and figure painting. In 1946 he painted the official portrait of Indiana Governor Ralph F. Gates and in 1952 the official portrait of Indiana Governor Henry F. Schricker. Coats also made two documentary films, One Hundred Years of Art and Artists of Indiana and New England Art Colonies. He was a member of the Hoosier Salon, the Chicago Art Galleries and the Cincinnati Art Club. The below oils are owned by the Art Museum of Greater Lafayette, Indiana.
           

Nellie Knofp "Tall Trees"
H. 21" x W. 17" Before Treatment

Paul Lauritz "California Landscpe"
H. 28" x W. 30" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment
           

Cullen Yates "Rocks and Sea"
H. 30" x W. 40" After Treatment

Randolph Coats "Winter Landscape"
H. 26" x W. 26" After Treatment
           
           


           
447. George J. Robinson was born in 1810 in Edinburgh, Scotland. He studied at the Royal Academy of Arts in London from 1826-1836 exhibiting with Constable and others. He came to the United States 1842 and worked in Cleveland and Milwaukee before settling in Rockford, Illinois. Robinson died in 1870. While in Milwaukee, he shared studio space with Bernard Durward. The below three portraits are owned by the Museum of Wisconsin art, West Bend, Wisconsin.
           

B. Durward "Mrs. Kilbourn"
H. 34" x W. 26" Before

G. Robinson "H. Kilbourn"
H. 34" x W. 26" Before

B. Durward "Mr. Kilbourn"
H. 34" x W. 26" Before
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment

After Treatment
           
           


           
448. Housed in Duluth, Minnesota's Historic Union Depot, the Lake Superior Railroad Museum works in conjunction with the North Shore Scenic Railroad to offer one of the richest historic experiences in railroading available anywhere. The beautiful French Chateauesque building was completed in 1892 and was a bustling hub of activity for much of the 20th century. During times of war, regiments of soldiers would march down Superior Street to board trains for service. The last train pulled out of the station in 1969, and in 1973 work began to restore the Depot and create the museum. The imaged oil is currently on exhibit at the museum.

Howard Sprague "DMN Railway Dock No. 1"
1893    H. 24" x W. 48" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

After Treatment
           
           

           
449. This oil on canvas painting is a portrait of John Hicks. The image is unsigned. During a past restoration, the support was glued to a plywood backing. The glue has dried unevenly and now the surface shows incipient canvas "bubbles." Conservation will include cleaning, removing the canvas and glue from the wood backing, relining, retouching and final varnishing. The fine portrait is owned by the Oshkosh Public Museum, Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

Unsigned "John Hicks"
H. 18" x W. 13" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

After Treatment
           


           
450. These oils are owned by the Springfield Art Association in Springfield, Illinois. The Association oversees the historic Edwards Place home. The home is the oldest home in Springfield on its original foundation. The wonderfully preserved Italianate mansion was a center for social activity at the time. Prominent citizens and politicians such as Abraham Lincoln and Stephen Douglas were entertained at lavish dinner parties there. The center image depicts Ninian Edwards (1775-1833) who served Illinois as its Territorial Governor, a United States Senator and also its Governor. The left image is a portrait of Benjamin Edwards (1818-1886) the son of Ninian Edwards, who was governor of the Illinois Territory 1809-1818 and Governor of Illinois 1826-1830. Edwards spent 1869-70 as a judge on Illinois' Thirtieth Judicial Circuit. In 1885, the year before his death, he was elected to serve as president of the Illinois State Bar Association.
           

Unsigned "Benjamin Edwards"
H. 18" x W. 14" Before Treatment

Unsigned "Laura Reid and Her Children"
H. 44" x W. 34" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

Pending
           
           




Home, Page 91, 92, 93

 





Barry Bauman Conservation
Contact: Mr. Barry Bauman
1122 N. Jackson Ave., River Forest, IL. 60305
Ph.(708)771-0382  Fax.(708)771-1532
e-mail:barrybbc7@yahoo.com