2011
Participating Institutions
 
 
           
436. Noted for impressionist watercolor and pastel landscapes, George Baker (1878 - 1943) was a well-known Indiana landscapist. He was born in Muncie and studied at the Cincinnati Art Academy. He exhibited at the Hoosier Salon and worked in the Richmond, Indiana area, belonging to the Richmond Group of artists. The Richmond Art Museum , the owner of the below paintings, put on a retrospective exhibition of his work, The Art of George Herbert Baker, in 2001.
           

Baker "Untitled"
H. 33" x W. 39" Before

C. Bandell "Winter Evening"
H. 24" x W. 36" Before

Baker "Winter Radiance"
H. 36" x W. 40" Before
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment

After Treatment
           
           


           
437. The State Historical Society of Iowa, Des Moines, Iowa has a vast and varied collection of fine art and regional folk art. The below image of the Treaty at Appomattox is a wonderful piece of folk representation of this iconic scene. Both paintings swill require a considerable amount of work to return them to an exhibitable appearance.
           

Waltz "Gen. Lee's Surrender" 1907
H. 27" x W. 37" Before Treatment

Philbrick "Hoover's Birthplace" 1928
H. 30" x W. 36" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning

           

After Treatment

After Treatment
           
           


           
438. Pauline Lennard Palmer was born in McHenry, Illinois in 1867. As a young woman, Palmer attended the Art Institute in Chicago. Travel to Paris provided study under artists Simon, Collin, and Courtois. She was a member of the Chicago Municipal Art League, a charter member of the Chicago Women's Salon, and a director of the Chicago Drama League. In 1918, she was elected the first woman President of the Chicago Society of Artists. Starting in 1899, she exhibited annually at the Art Institute of Chicago for 27 years, where she became a legend by winning nearly all of the museum's major awards,. Pauline Palmer died on a trip to Norway in 1938. The imaged painting is owned by the Springfield Art Asociation, Springfield, Illinois.

Pauline Palmer "Child of Spain" Paris '04
H. 18" x W. 12" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

After Treatment
           
           


           
439. The recognition of the paintings by William Turman, chairman of the art department at Indiana State University for 40 years and the first president of the Swope Art Museum, continues to escalate. These five oils are part of the Turman collection at the Turman Township Youth Foundation in Graysville, Indiana. Conservation efforts over the last two years have now conserved all of the paintings in the Foundation's Turman collection.
           

W. Manning "Turner Home"
1883  H. 17" x W. 36"
Before Treatment

Turman "Mt. Rainier"
H. 22" x W. 30" Before

Turman "Sumac" 1937
H. 16" x W. 24" Before
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment

After Treatment
           

Turman "Battle of Temeraire" (Turner)
H. 30" x W. 40" Before Treatment

Turman"Deming Park" 1929
H. 15" x W. 20" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment
           
           


           
440. The Scholte House, Pella, Iowa, built in the winter and spring of 1847-1848, was the fulfillment of a promise Dominie Hendrik Scholte made to his wife Mareah to alleviate her homesickness and disappointment. He had promised to build her a house with all the comforts of the home she had left in The Netherlands. Remaining much as it was in Pella's early days, some rooms now play different roles, and others have been added. In this treasured house lies much of the earliest history of de kolonie. Since the Scholte house was built in 1848, some of its 22 rooms have always been occupied by Scholte descendants. The last Scholte descendant to live in the house was Leonora Gaass Hettinga. She and her brother and sister-in-law, Peter and Norma Gaass, then gave the house to the Pella Historical Society in 1979 for use as a museum. These four oils are part of the museum's collection and have been painted by G. H. Nollen and Maria Scholte Beard.
           

Mareah Scholte "Mountain Lake"
H. 24" x W. 34" Before Treatment

Mareah Scholte "Little Waterfall"
H. 23" x W. 34" Before Treatment
           

           

After Treatment

 

After Treatment
           

Mareah Scholte "Boaters"
H. 18" x W. 24" Before Treatment

G. H. Nollen "The Farm"
H. 16" x W. 22" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment
           


Home, Page 89, 90, 91

 





Barry Bauman Conservation
Contact: Mr. Barry Bauman
1122 N. Jackson Ave., River Forest, IL. 60305
Ph.(708)771-0382  Fax.(708)771-1532
e-mail:barrybbc7@yahoo.com