2011
Participating Institutions
 
 
401. Mathias Alten (1871-1938) led a well traveled career. He was born in Germany and at the age of 17 emigrated with his family to Grand Rapids, Michigan. In 1898 Alten went to France and studied with Benjamin Constant and Jean-Paul Laurens at the Academie Julian. Interested in animal drawing, he also attended classes at a veterinary school and later traveled throughout France and Italy. He returned to Grand Rapids and devoted his work to plein air landscapes influenced by American and French Impressionism. In 1910 he traveled to Holland to study Dutch landscape painting and in 1912 he went to Spain. Always interested in outdoor light, he went to Taos, New Mexico in 1927 and painted landscapes and Indian figures. He returned to Grand Rapids but spent some time in California and Florida. The below oils are owned by the Muskegon Museum of Art, Muskegon, Michigan.
         

M. Alten "Boats at Cabanal"
H. 32" x W. 36" Before

W. Shirlaw "Marble Quarry"
H. 31" x W. 61" Before

H. Freund "The Storm"
H. 18" x W. 24" Before
         

During Cleaning

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
         

After Treatment

After Treatment

After Treatment
         
         


         
402. The South Bend Museum of Art, South Bend, Indiana has a vast and varied collection concentrating in American works of art. Glen Cooper Henshaw was born in Windfall, Indiana on August 8, 1880, and was a descendant of Francis Scott Key. At the John Herron School of Art in Indianapolis he studied under Otto Stark, J. Ottis Adams and William Forsyth. After a year in Germany with Carl von Marr, Henshaw went to Paris. Although he enrolled in the Académie Julian and the Ecole des Beaux-Arts, Henshaw was attracted to impressionism and his work largely reflects this looser style.
         

Glen Cooper Henshaw "Capt. Wirt"
H. 34" x W. 25" Before Treatment

Felix Russman "Evening Scene"
H. 11" x W. 16" Before Treaatment
         

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
         

After Treatment

After Treatment
         
         


         
403. The Scholte House, Pella, Iowa, built in the winter and spring of 1847-1848, was the fulfillment of a promise Dominie Hendrik Scholte made to his wife Mareah to alleviate her homesickness and disappointment. He had promised to build her a house with all the comforts of the home she had left in The Netherlands. Remaining much as it was in Pella's early days, some rooms now play different roles, and others have been added. In this treasured house lies much of the earliest history of de kolonie. Since the Scholte house was built in 1848, some of its 22 rooms have always been occupied by Scholte descendants. The last Scholte descendant to live in the house was Leonora Gaass Hettinga. She and her brother and sister-in-law, Peter and Norma Gaass, then gave the house to the Pella Historical Society in 1979 for use as a museum. These three oils are part of the museum's collection and have been painted by G. H. Nollen and Maria Scholte Beard. The two portraits were completed in 1840.
         

G. Nollen "Hendrick Nollen"
H. 25" x W. 18" Before

M. Beard "Lds. with Ruins"
H. 30" x W. 36" Before

G. Nollen "Lwaanye Nollen"
H. 25" x W. 18" Before
         

During Cleaning

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
         

After Treatment

After Treatment

After Treatment
         
         


         
404. Ernest Crichlow (1914-2005) was born in Brooklyn, New York in 1914 to Caribbean immigrants. He studied art at the School of Commercial Illustrating and Advertising Art in New York and New York University. Crichlow started work as an artist in a studio sponsored by Works Progress Administration's Federal Art Project. Augusta Savage was an early patron of his work as was the case for many of the artists of the Harlem Renaissance. His first exhibition was in 1938 in the Harlem Community Center in Harlem, New York. Crichlow's work was exhibited in the 1939 New York World's Fair and in the Library of Congress the following year. By the end of his career, his life and work was honored by President Carter. The below three works are owned by the DuSable Museum of African American Art, Chicago, Illinois.
         

E. Crichlow "MLK"
H. 10" x W. 13" Before

Anon. "Monarch Africano"
H. 45" x W. 32" Before

F. Moro "Men at Sea"
H. 24" x W. 30" Before
         

During Cleaning

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
         

After Treatment

After Treatment

After Treatment
         
         


         
405. Frederick Grant (1886-1959) completed the left oil while in Venice. After studying at the Art Institute of Chicago, Grant traveled to Venice, Italy, in 1907 to enroll in one of Williamm M. Chase's summer classes. While there, Chase awarded Grant the annual prize for best summer student. On that trip he also studied in Paris and became more familiar with the work of Monet and Cézanne. Returning to Chicago, he became a popular and respected member of the local art community. These three works are woned by the Flint Institute of Arts, Flint, Michigan.
         

F. Grant "San Marco, Venice"
H. 24" x W. 22" Before

Ed. Brucker "The Capitol"
H. 22" x W. 42" Before

S. Zingale "Worker"
H. 16" x W. 14" Before
       

During Cleaning

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
         

After Treatment

After Treatment

After Treatment
         
         


Home, Page 82, 83, 84

 





Barry Bauman Conservation
Contact: Mr. Barry Bauman
1122 N. Jackson Ave., River Forest, IL. 60305
Ph.(708)771-0382  Fax.(708)771-1532
e-mail:barrybbc7@yahoo.com