2010
Participating Institutions
 
 
376. The Janesville Art League in Janesville, Wisconsin has been collecting paintings for over 100 years. The collection holds many outstanding paintings including the three pictured below. The author recently conducted a condition review of the collection and the first three paintings to receive treatment are imaged below. The center image is an outstanding piece by Adam Emory Albright, the father and teacher of his son, Ivan Albright.
           

Lawton Parker "Reflections"
H. 29" x W. 24" Before

Adam Albright "Planting Popcorn"
H. 18" x W. 24" Before

Anon. "Portrait of a Woman"
H. 30" x W. 25" Before
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment

After Treatment
           
           


           
377. The Rivers Institute at Hanover College, Hanover, Indiana is the owner of these exquisite portraits by T. C. Steele, the leading artist of the Hoosier School of Midwestern Impressionists. Steele was born in 1847 and died in 1926. During his formative years he moved to Munich and studied at the Royal Academy of Art with Frank Duveneck and Ludwig Loefftz. In 1885 he returned to Indianapolis and established an art school with William Forsyth. While his landscapes are his signature style, he was also a very fine portrait artist. Today he is remembered as Indiana's finest artist from the early part of the 20th century.
           

T. C. Steele "Mrs. Thomas Hendricks" 1904
H. 44" x W. 32" Before Treatment

T. C. Steele "Thomas Hendricks"
H. 45" x W. 32" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment
           
           


           
378. The Scholte House, Pella, Iowa, built in the winter and spring of 1847-1848, was the fulfillment of a promise Dominie Hendrik Scholte made to his wife Mareah to alleviate her homesickness and disappointment. He had promised to build her a house with all the comforts of the home she had left in The Netherlands. Remaining much as it was in Pella's early days, some rooms now play different roles, and others have been added. In this treasured house lies much of the earliest history of de kolonie. Since the Scholte house was built in 1848, some of its 22 rooms have always been occupied by Scholte descendants. The last Scholte descendant to live in the house was Leonora Gaass Hettinga. She and her brother and sister-in-law, Peter and Norma Gaass, then gave the house to the Pella Historical Society in 1979 for use as a museum. These three oils are part of the museum's collection and have been painted by G. H. Nollen and Maria Scholte Beard.
           

Maria Beard "Landscape"
H. 13" x W. 10" Before

Maria Beard "Windmill Landscape"
H. 17" x W. 26" Before

G. H. Nollen "Three Nollen Sisters"
H. 18" x W. 14" Before
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment

After Treatment
           
       


           
379. The Flint Institute of Arts has a vast and varied collection. Previous treatments have been carried out on paintings by Corot, Lawrence, Sir Joshua Reynolds, and Utrillo to name a few. The below four oils are from the museum's collection.
           

Clarence Carter "Untitled"
H. 24" x W. 32" Before Treatment

Clara Deike "Under the Trees" 1953
H. 20" x W. 24" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment
           

Joseph Freibert "3rd and Center"
H. 22" x W. 27" Before Treatment

Ethal Johnt "St. Mary's at Dawn"
H. 25" x W. 30" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment
           
           


           
380. Edgar Payne was born in Washburn, Missouri on March 1, 1882. Since the age of 14 his goal was to become a painter. He began his career by designing and painting scenery for the stage, and murals for homes and theaters. Primarily a self taught artist, he did study briefly at the Art Institute in Chicago. Recognized as one of California's leading landscape artists, Payne earned the respect of his peers and art critics for his Impressionistic landscapes painted in the plein-air style. Possessing a reverence for nature, Payne Lake in the Sierras was named in his memory. Payne glorified the Sierra Nevada Mountains Range's majestic peaks and lakes. He died in Hollywood, California on April 8, 1947. The painting is owned by the Janesville Art League in Janesville, Wisconsin

Edgar Payne " High Sierras" 1921
H. 43" x W. 43" Before treatment
           

Durning Cleaning

After Treatment
           


Home, Page 77, 78, 79

 





Barry Bauman Conservation
Contact: Mr. Barry Bauman
1122 N. Jackson Ave., River Forest, IL. 60305
Ph.(708)771-0382  Fax.(708)771-1532
e-mail:barrybbc7@yahoo.com