2010
Participating Institutions
 
 
356. A draper's son from Cleve, Germany, Govaert Flinck first studied in the northern Netherlands with painter, dealer, and Mennonite preacher Lambert Jacobsz., whose manner resembled that of Pieter Lastman. There Flinck met Jacob Backer, who deeply influenced the young artist. In 1633 Flinck moved to Amsterdam, studying with Rembrandt van Rijn until 1636. He became so absorbed in Rembrandt's approach that some of Flinck's paintings from the 1630s have been confused with those of Rembrandt. Like many other Dutch painters during the 1640s and 1650s, Flinck began making his portraits more elegant and brightening his palette under the spell of Flemish artists such as Anthony van Dyck. The new style brought strong demand for allegorical and religious scenes for palaces and public buildings. Flinck received important commissions for Huis ten Bosch, a royal residence, and the new Amsterdam town hall. In 1659 he was commissioned with twelve large paintings for the city's great civic hall, but he died soon after signing the contract. The below five paintings are from the collection of the Figge Museum of Art, Davenport, Iowa.
           

Bruce Crane "Late Autumn"
H. 14" x W. 20" Before Treatment

Govaert Flinck "Christ Before the People Fragment"
ca. 1640    H. 71" x 31" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment

           

John Twachtman "Cincinnati Landscape" 1877
15" x 19" Before Treatment

Birge Harrison "Winter Landscape"
H. 16" x W. 24" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment
           

Baltasar de Echave Rioja (1632-1682) was born in Mexico and was the son of Baltasar de Echave Ibia. Apparently, his artistic education began in the workshop of Jose Juarez. Rioja is considered one of the best exponents of seventeenth century art in New Spain. His most influential works are two paintings in the Cathedral of Puebla, where he represented Church Militant and Church Triumphant. Their artistic source are two pictures based on the work of Rubens. Possibly, Echave Rioja maintained contact with the European style from signed prints and paintings by Zurbaran, Murillo and various Flemish painters who arrived in the New Spain.

One of Echave Rioja's most significant and beautiful works is the Burial of Christ in the collection of the Pinacoteca of San Diego in Viceregal Mexico City. It is considered one of the most important paintings in the history of painting in Mexico, due to the high realism that the artist captured in the figures of Christ and Mary. The below work is being prepared for the exhibition Painting of the Kingdoms, Shared Identities, organized by the Mexican Endowment for the Arts and Culture and the Banamex Cultural Foundation with support from Spain 's Ministry of Culture. The first venue will be a joint exhibition between the Royal Palace, Madrid Spain and the Museo del Prado , Madrid.

           

Baltasar de Echave Rioja "Adaoration Scene" 1659
H. 61" x W. 78" After Treatment

           
           


           
357. The left image is by Frank Girardin (1856-1945). He studied with Frank Duveneck at the Cincinnati Art Academy. Surprisingly, he was also at one time a professional baseball player for the Cincinnati Reds. Hugh Bolton Jones, (1848-1927) was an award winning landscape artist of the late nineteenth century, whose paintings of pastoral scenes were widely exhibited in the United States around the turn of the century. Born in 1848 in Baltimore, Jones began his formal studies at the Maryland Institute. In 1865, he studied under Horace W. Robbins in New York City, and two years later exhibited at the National Academy of Design. In 1876, Jones traveled to Europe with his younger brother, eventually joining former Baltimore acquaintance Thomas Hovenden in the artists' colony at Pont Aven, Brittany. In 1880, Jones returned to the United States, where he continued to paint American landscapes in a manner emphasizing the effects of seasonal light or time of day on his rural subjects. He was elected an associate of the National Academy of Design in 1893; he received awards at the Paris expositions of 1889 and 1900 and the St. Louis exposition of 1904. He continued to paint until his death in 1927, in New York City. These three oils are owned by the Richmond Art Museum, Richmond, Indiana.
           

F. Girardin "Nat. Road Bridge"
H. 24" x W. 42" Before

Hugh B. Jones "Mau in Berkshires"
H. 30" x W. 36" Before

John Bundy "Landscape"
H. 24" x W. 36" Before
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment

After Treatment
           


           
358. The Indiana State Museum is the owner of these four oils and hundreds of works by T. C. Steele, the leading artist of the Hoosier School of Midwestern Impressionists. Steele was born in 1847 and died in 1926. During his formative years he moved to Munich and studied at the Royal Academy of Art with Frank Duveneck and Ludwig Loefftz. In 1885 he returned to Indianapolis and established an art school with William Forsyth, also represented below. While his landscapes are his signature style, he was also a very fine portrait artist. Today he is remembered as Indiana's finest artist from the early part of the 20th century. The museum houses over 350 paintings from this artist's estate.
           

T. C. Steele "Bavarian Peasant Woman"
H. 24" x W. 20" Before Treatment

Anthony Buchta "Spring Comes in the Hills"
H. 25" x W. 30" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment
           

Will Vawter "Spring Scene"
H. 36" x W. 30" Before Treatment

Bethiel Moore "Mr. Culbertson"
H. 30" x W. 25" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment
           
           

           
359. Walter Shirlaw (1838­1909) was a Scottish-American artist. Shirlaw was born in Paisley, Scotland, and moved to the United States with his parents in 1840. He worked as a bank-note engraver, and his work was first exhibited at the National Academy in 1861. He was elected an academician of the Chicago Academy of Design in 1868. His pupils included Frederick Stuart Church. From 1870 to 1877 he studied in Munich, under George Raab and Wilhelm Lindenschmidt. His first work of importance was the Toning of the Bell (1874)--the author had the pleasure of treating this work while on staff at the Art Institute of Chicago. His largest work is the frieze for the dining-room in the house of Darius O. Mills in New York. Shirlaw has also earned an excellent reputation as an illustrator. He was one of the founders of the Society of American Artists, and was its first president. On his return from Europe he took charge of the Art Students League of New York, and for several years taught in the composition class. He became an associate of the National Academy in 1887. The below four oils are from the outstanding collection of the Muskegon Museum of Art, Muskegon, Michigan.
           

Walter Shirlaw "St. Brieuc, Bretagne"
H. 33" x W. 24" Before Treatment

Camillo Adriani "Winter in Michigan"
H. 25" x W. 30" Before Treatment
           

Diring Cleaning

Diring Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment
           

Alfred Bricher "Rocky Coastline"
H. 15" x W. 32" Before Treatment

George Cole "Harvest Scene"
H. 30" x W. 48" Before Treatment
           

Diring Cleaning

Diring Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment
           
           


           
360. Edward Turner(1854-1899) was active in the Grand Rapids, Michigan area. A prolific portrait artist, he also made etchings and engravings. He was the teacher of several Grand Rapids artists, most notably Mathias Alten. Not very much is known about Turner's life and career. This oil seems to depict two young girls and even carries the title "The Torrent Girls." Actually the children are Lewis Torrent and Marguerite Lang. In the late 19th Century, boys often wore dresses at a young age so the clothes would fit for a longer period of time. This charming image is owned by the Hackley Library, Muskegon, Michigan.

Edwin Turner "The Torrent Girls"
H. 51" x W. 42" Before Treatment
           

Diring Cleaning

After Treatment
           
           


Home, Page 73, 74, 75

 





Barry Bauman Conservation
Contact: Mr. Barry Bauman
1122 N. Jackson Ave., River Forest, IL. 60305
Ph.(708)771-0382  Fax.(708)771-1532
e-mail:barrybbc7@yahoo.com