2004
Participating Institutions
         
21. The Kemper Center in Kenosha, Wisconsin is the owner of this triptych "The Mystic Marriage of St. Catherine." The Center's primary facility was built in 1861. The property is now owned by Kenosha County and Kemper Center, a non-profit organization. Before the acceptance of photography as an art form, works of art were copied when recreations were requested. The original version of this painting was executed in 1511 by Fra Bartolommeo. The painting now hangs in the Louvre. This version was painted in Paris by Theodore Dubé in 1896.
Before Treatment
"The Mystic Marriage of St. Catherine Triptych"
Central Panel H. 92" X W. 72"

Detail During Cleaning

 
Detail During Cleaning

         
 
After Treatment
Roger Brown: "The Cosmic Contraction"1989 (left)
"Bonsai #5, Literati (Bunjing) 1997 (right)
22. Roger Brown is considered one of Chicago's finest contemporary artists. In 1974 he purchased an 1880's two-story building at 1926 Halsted Street. The building was converted into a living space and work studio. In 1996, Brown gave his extensive collection of art and the building to the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. The collection contains over 1,000 works of art from the Chicago Imagists to ethnographic art from Africa, the Americas, and Asia.
         

         
23. After completing the treatment of the Carl von Marr, "Funeral in Friesland" (page 3), the West Bend Art Museum elected to send in two additional paintings for treatment. The right image is by Robert Merrill (1842-1924). The oil on canvas painting is signed and dated 1882 in the lower left corner. (H. 42" X W. 36") The lower image is an untitled pastoral scene (H. 15" X W. 23") by George Peter (1859-1950). Peter was a regional Wisconsin artist but also contributed to the "Battle of Atlanta" (1886) panorama painting currently on display in the Cyclorama Building, Atlanta.
Robert Merrill "Landscape with Deer" (1882)
Before Treatment

George Peter "Pastoral Scene" Before Treatment

During Cleaning

Detail During Cleaning

After Treatment

Detail After Treatment

During Cleaning

After Treatment


         

William Dodge "Nude in a Field"1888 Before Treatment (H. 26" X W. 36")

Arthur Tait "Deer Crossing a Stream" ca.1875
Before Treatment (H. 20" X W. 30")

Rosa Bonheur "Madere" 1884
Before Treatment (H. 15" W. 18")
24. The Rahr-West Museum is the owner of these three oil on canvas paintings. The "Nude in a Field" is by the American artist, William Dodge (1867-1935). Dodge traveled to Paris and studied at the Ecole des Beaux Arts. The upper right image, "Deer Crossing a Stream" is by Arthur Tait (1819-1905). Tait was born in England and came to America when he was thirty. His prints were widely distributed by Currier and Ives. The left image is by Rosalie (Rosa) Marie Bonheur (1822-1899) entitled, "Madere". The painting is signed lower left and dated to the day, "17 Aout 1884". Her "Horse Fair," from the Paris Salon of 1853, now hangs in the Metropolitan Museum, New York.

During Cleaning

Detail During Cleaning

During Cleaning

Detail During Cleaning

During Cleaning

Detail During Cleaning

After Treatment

After Treatment

Detail After Treatment

After Treatment

         
25. The State Historical Society of Iowa is the owner of these six oil-on-canvas paintings. The SHSI administers numerous sites throughout the state including the famous American Gothic House from Grant Wood's 1930 painting to Indian historic sites. Three of these paintings are currently on view at Terrace Hill. This 1869 structure was designed by William Boynton, a popular Chicago architect. He also designed Chicago's Water Tower, one of the few structures to survive the Chicago fire of 1871.
         

Anonymous "Bridge from Rock Island to Davenport"
ca.1855 (H. 26" X W. 37") Before Treatment

I. Weatherby "Portrait of W. Miller"
1861 (H. 34" X W. 25") Before
         

G. Simons "Kanesville, 1849"
(H. 21" X W. 24") Before Treatment

E. Bassett "Washington from the Insane Asylum"
1859 (H. 25" X W. 36") Before Treatment
         

John Forgy "Thompson's Bend" ca.1880
(H. 30" X W. 50") Before Treatment

J.N.Parks "Port. of Gov. Kirkwood"
ca. 1876 (H. 30" X W. 25") Before
  *Click to view treatment images*  
         
Home, Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

 


Barry Bauman Conservation
Contact: Mr. Barry Bauman
1122 N. Jackson Ave., River Forest, IL. 60305
Ph.(708)771-0382  Fax.(708)771-1532
e-mail:barrybbc7@yahoo.com