2008
Participating Institutions
 
 
271. The right image is owned by the Still National Osteopathic Museum in Kirksville, Missouri. The work is by Marion Blakelock, the daughter of Albert Blakelock. An Internet search pulled up a rather unusual reference in a New York Times article from May 19, 1916. "MAY FREE MISS BLAKELOCK.; Movement Started Seeking Her Release from River State Hospital; Miss Marion Blakelock, daughter of R.A. Blakelock, the painter, and herself an artist, may soon be released from the Hudson River State Hospital in Poughkeepsie. A movement similar to that which won freedom for her father from the Middletown Asylum is under way among art patrons in Chicago, it was said by Supt. Charles V. Pilgrim today. Miss Blakelock's works have found ready sale, although done under adverse conditions in the local asylum. As an incompetent, she is having difficulty in marketing the paintings, In a few days a committee will be chosen by the local court, and habeas corpus proceedings to obtain her freedom will follow."

Marion Blakelock "Cloudy Night"
H. 6" x W. 9" Before Treatment
           
           


           
272. The Haggerty Museum of Art of Marquette University is located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Milwaukee is a city of 1.2 million people and is approximately 90 miles from Chicago, Illinois. The museum itself is located on a beautifully-landscaped university campus with large open spaces dotted with outdoor sculptures. The Haggerty Museum serves as a laboratory for learning focused on the visual arts by collecting, exhibiting and interpreting works of art in the context of the mission of Marquette University and the city of Milwaukee. The museum's exhibitions and educational programs are designed to contribute to the transformational learning of students and community members and to foster life-long learning and enjoyment of the arts. These two oils are by artists who are both iincluded in the Significant Artists list linked to Participating Institutions in the left navigation.
           

Sir Joshua Reynolds "Portrait of an Officer"
H. 30" x W. 25" After Treatment

G. P. A. Healy "William Cramer" 1884
H. 46" x W. 35" Before Treatment

           

During Cleaning

After Treatment
           
           


           
273. Mathias Alten (1871-1938) led a well traveled career. He was born in Germany and at the age of 17 emigrated with his family to Grand Rapids, Michigan. In 1898 Alten went to France and studied with Benjamin Constant and Jean-Paul Laurens at the Academie Julian. Interested in animal drawing, he also attended classes at a veterinary school and later traveled throughout France and Italy. He returned to Grand Rapids and devoted his work to plein air landscapes influenced by American and French Impressionism. In 1910 he traveled to Holland to study Dutch landscape painting and in 1912 he went to Spain. Always interested in outdoor light, he went to Taos, New Mexico in 1927 and painted landscapes and Indian figures. He returned to Grand Rapids but spent some time in California and Florida. The following three paintings are from the collection of Calvin College, Grand Rapids, Michigan.
           

"Village Road"
H. 10" x W. 8" Before

M. Alten "Vase of Flowers"
H. 24" x W. 28" Before

Anon. "Dutch Interior"
H. 13" x W. 20" Before
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment

After Treatment
           
           


           
274. The left image below is by Luca Giordano(1634-1705). Giordano was a Neapolitan painter and the most important Italian decorative artist of the second half of the 17th century. He was nicknamed Luca Fa Presto (Luke work quickly) because of his prodigious speed of execution and huge output. He began in the circle of Ribera, but his style became much more colorful under the influence of such great decorative painters as Veronese, whose works he saw on his extensive travels. Indeed, he absorbed a host of influences and was said to be able to imitate other artists' styles with ease. His work was varied also in subject-matter, although he was primarily a religious and mythological painter. He worked mainly in Naples, but also extensively in Florence and Venice, and his work had great influence in Italy. In 1692 he was called to Spain by Charles II and stayed there for 10 years, painting in Madrid, Toledo, and the Escorial. His last work when he returned to Naples was the ceiling of the Treasury Chapel of S. Martino. These four oils are recent acquisitions into the collection of the Smart Museum of Art at the University of Chicago gifted from the estate of Dr. and Mrs. Edward Maser. Dr. Maser was a brilliant professor at the University specializing in Italian 17th and 18th Century art. He also held the position of Director at the Smart Museum for many years.
           

Luca Giordano "Barak before Deborah" ca. 1690
H.25" X W. 19 1/2" Before Treatment

Peter Cornelius "Three Saints" ca. 1830
H. 13" x W. 8 1/2" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment
           

Gia. Diana "Massacre of the Innocents" ca. 1775
H. 9" x W. 16" Before Treatment

Tommasco Gherardini "Classical Relief"
ca. 1780     H. 15" x W. 22" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment
           
           


           
275. This portrait of "Governor William Milo Stone" by Fredrick Henry Morse is owned by the State Historical Society of Iowa. Stone (1827-1893) was Governor from 1864 to 1868. During the early part of the Civil War he served as a Major in the 3rd Iowa Infantry and later Colonel in the 22nd Iowa Infantry. In 1856, he was one of the organizers of the Republican Party. Morse was primarily a portrait painter and studied at Missouri State University under George Caleb Bingham. He also studied at the Art Institute of Chicago and in New York with William Merritt Chase.

Fredrick Henry Moore "Gov. William Stone"
ca. 1890      H. 51" x W 41" Before Treatment

           

During Cleaning

After Treatment
           
           


Home, Page 56, 57, 58

 





Barry Bauman Conservation
Contact: Mr. Barry Bauman
1122 N. Jackson Ave., River Forest, IL. 60305
Ph.(708)771-0382  Fax.(708)771-1532
e-mail:barrybbc7@yahoo.com