2007
Participating Institutions
 
 
186. The Iowa State Historical Society is the owner of these three images. The Des Moines museum is also the administrator for numerous other state sites including the American Gothic House, Blood Run, the Edel Blacksmith Shop, Gardner Cabin, Plum Grove, Montauk, Toolesboro Mounds and the Western Historic Trails. The right portrait is by George Upp (1844-1924). Upp was a pupil of G.P.A. Healy in Chicago but worked for many years in Iowa. These paintings represent a total of twenty-five conserved for the museum over the last three years.
           

T.W. Campbell "Keokuk"
H. 24" X W. 20" Before

A. Philbrick "Port. of a Man" 1928
H. 28" X W. 24" Before

George Upp "Gov. Carroll" 1918
H. 66
1/2" X W. 36" Before

During Cleaning

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment

After Treatment
           
       

           
187. The below oil by Carl Gutherz (1844-1907) is owned by the Memphis Brooks Museum, Memphis, Tennessee. The museum has one of the largest collections in the state and includes wonderful pieces by Anthony van Dyck, Sir Joshua Reynolds, Claude Lorraine and the pictured painting. Gutherz was born in Switzerland and came with his parents to America in 1851. After early studies in Cincinnati and Memphis, he spent two years in Paris, Belgium, and Italy. He then went to St. Louis where he established the Art Department at Washington University. The below 1897 painting, "Sunset After Appomattox," was exhibited in the Art Palace at the 1904 World's Fair in Louisiana.
           

Carl Gutherz "Sunset After Appomatox"
H. 60" X W. 84" Before Treatment

           
The painting caused quite a sensation and was characterized by state Senator Morgan with the following: "The surrender over, and the sad words of parting spoken to his troops, Lee at last turned his face towards his home. His baggage wagons and his servants, together with some of his staff, had gone before, and reached the place selected for the bivouac. A storm had swept over the valley and had left several large trees prostrate in its path, and among these a sturdy oak had been uprooted, and had fallen across the road, impeding further progress of the little train; the horses had been taken from the wagons and unharnessed, and the servants having built a fire, were preparing the evening meal, when Gen. Lee, attended by an orderly, rode up to the bivouac. As though impressed by the associations of the storm and the fallen oak, Lee seated himself upon the body of the tree in a reclining attitude and seemed immersed in meditations upon the past and the future. As the soft light of the roseate sky fell upon him, yet cast no shadow, his faithful warhorse, Traveler, just stripped of his saddle, came up to where he sat, and with head near his master's, seemed testifying to his love and sympathy."
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

Detail After Treatment
           
           


           
188. Roger Brown is considered one of Chicago's finest contemporary artists. In 1974 he purchased an 1880's two-story building at 1926 Halsted Street. The building was converted into a living space and work studio. In 1996, Brown gave his extensive collection of art and the building to the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. The collection contains over 1,000 works of art from the Chicago Imagists to ethnographic art from Africa, the Americas, and Asia.

Roger Brown "Gothic Stadium"
H. 48" X W. 60" After Treatment
           
           


           
189. These oils are owned by the Illinois State Museum, Springfield, Illinois. The left image is by the G.P.A. Healy (1808-1894). Healy studied in Paris and Rome. He received a third-class medal in Paris in 1840, and a second class in 1855, when he exhibited his "Franklin urging the claims of the American Colonies before Louis XVI." Among his portraits of eminent men are those of Webster, Clay, Calhoun, Guyot, Seward, Louis Philippe, and the presidents of the United States from J. Q. Adams to Grant--this series being painted for the Corcoran Gallery, Washington, D.C. His large group, Webster replying to Hayne, containing 180 portraits, is in Faneuil Hall, Boston, Mass. The right landscape is by Joseph Birren (1864-1933). Birren also studied in Paris and Munich. He largely worked in the Chicago area and had numerous exhibits of his work at the Art Institute.
           

G.P.A. Healy "Portrait of Charles I of Romania"
H.46" X W. 26
1/2" Before Treatment

Joseph Birren "Blossom Time"
H. 32" X W. 38" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment
           
These two early 19th-Century portraits are attributed to Elisha Hunt. The canvases have been mounted to boards using an aqueous adhesive. The adhesive has dried unevenly and now the supports are cracking and lifting. In order to save the paintings for the future, the portraits will be carefully removed from their backings and then lined to Belgian linen using a non-aqueous adhesive. This lining technique will serve to strengthen the weakened original supports and consolidate all areas of loose paint. The treatment will require four months to complete.
           

Elisha Hunt "Abagail Partridge Chenery"
H. 31" X W. 25" Before Treatment

Elisha Hunt "William Dodd Chenery"
H. 31" X W. 25" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment
           
           


           
190. The State Historical Society of Wisconsin is the owner of these two oil-on-canvas paintings. The left image is a portrait of Increase A. Lapham. Lapham (1811-1875), for twenty-two years was either the president or vice-president of the State Historical Society. He was chief of the state geological survey from 1873 to 1875. He ranked among the most distinguished naturalists of his time, was the originator of the United States weather bureau, and perhaps the most prominent of the early scientific investigators in Wisconsin. The portrait shows overall discolorations. These discolorations are from an earlier restoration attempt where the restorer used oil paint as a retouching media. Oil paint discolors as it ages. Todays inpainting materials are both color and light fast. The right image is a WPA painting. The symbolic scene shows workers "putting the country back together again" after the Great Depression. The image was painted by Edwin Bassett Knutesen (1901-1961).
           

Samuel Marsden Brookes
"Port. of Increase A. Lapham" ca. 1850
H. 36" X W. 28" Before Treatment

Edwin Knutesen
"Construction Crew, Kilbourn Avenue" 1941
H. 26" X W. 29" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment
           
           


Home, Page 39, 40, 41

 





Barry Bauman Conservation
Contact: Mr. Barry Bauman
1122 N. Jackson Ave., River Forest, IL. 60305
Ph.(708)771-0382  Fax.(708)771-1532
e-mail:barrybbc7@yahoo.com