2007
Participating Institutions
 
 
176. The Flint Institute of Arts is the owner of the two oils pictured below. The left image came to the museum as part of the Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch Collection of American Naive Paintings, The large collection includes two portraits by Sheldon Peck. The right landscape is by Alexander Wyant (1836-1892). Wyant was born in Evans Creek, Ohio. He was a tonalist landscape and genre painter and was part of the Hudson River School. In his later style, he was greatly influenced by the French Barbizon impressionists. While he was only moderately successful during his lifetime, his works are greatly sought after today.
           

Erastus Field "Portrait of a Lady"   1829
H. 27" X W. 22" After Treatment

Alexander Wyant "Early Autumn" ca. 1875
H. 12" X W. 16" Before Treatment
           

Wyant During Cleaning

After Treatment
           
           


           
177. The Dundee Historical Society owns a number of interesting local oils. This landscape was painted by a descendent of the first settlers of the 1830's. The painting remained in the family until it was donated to the Society. The oil is dated 1876 and captures a rare early view of the community. Some of the buildings still exist today. The painting will require considerable work to return it to an exhibitable appearance.

Frances Sutfin "Dundee" 1876
H. 18" X W. 26" Before Treatment

           

During Cleaning

After Treatment
           
           

           

Helen J. Hinrichsen "Davenport Centennial Mural: 1836-1936"
H. 96" X W. 360"
           
178. The Figge Art Museum, Davenport, Iowa is the owner of a 16-panel mural by Helen J. Hinrichsen (1896-1983). The title of the mural is the "Davenport Centennial Mural: 1836-1936." Former Curator of the Davenport Art Gallery, Ann C. Madonia, wrote a brochure on the artist and the mural's history. Her material will be quoted in four sections, as the mural will also be treated in four sections. The first narrative is in on Page 28, the second on Page 33.
           
"The mural was barely completed on schedule. Workmen labored through the night to build the scaffolding and attach the panels to the wooden support on the wall. The mural was unveiled during festivities celebrating the 1936 Fourth of July/ Mr. and Mrs. Walgreen attended the dedication ceremonies held on the evening of Monday, July 6th. A dinner was held in the drug store at which Mr. Walgreen confided to the artist that it was the first time he had ever eaten in any one of his five hundred stores. At the dinner, Mrs. Hinrichsen suggested to Mr. Walgreen that if, at some time in the future, he no longer wanted the mural, he might consider offering it to the City. Mr. Walgreen immediately accepted the suggestion. During his dedication speech that evening, he announced that he was giving the mural to the City of Davenport, contingent upon the City locating the appropriate space. Mayor Merle Wells accepted the gift on behalf of the citizens of Davenport. However, the mural remained in place in Walgreen's Drug Store for twenty years where it was viewed by thousands of Dvanport citizens and visitors.
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           
During this time the mural was carefully maintained by the staff of Walgreen's. Periodically it was washed with lukewarm water to remove the grime that had accumulated and a fresh coat of protective starch and water was applied. In 1956, a general remodeling of the Walgreen Drug Store and the installation of a drop ceiling necessitated the removal of the mural. Davenport Mayor Walter Beuse formed a committee to seek and recommend a new location for the mural. The first choice of the committee was the Davenport Art Gallery. However, lack of space at the original gallery site at West 5th Street made it impossible to accept the mural. Other sites were considered, but rejected as unsuitable, and so the mural was placed in storage for a period of two years.
           
The Council Chambers in Davenport City Hall was remodeled in 1958 and the mural was mounted on the wall. For more than twenty years it remained in this location. In 1979, a general renovation of City Hall was begun which necessitated the relocation of the Council chambers to the first floor. Since adequate wall space for the mural was not available in the new Council chambers, it was transferred to the Davenport Art Gallery. During the first two months of 1980, the Davenport Centennial Mural was permanently installed on the south wall of the Main Exhibition Hall.
           
           


           
The museum also sent in this fine oil by Jules Dupré (1812-1889). Dupré was one of the chief members of the Barbizon school of landscape painters. He was the son of a porcelain manufacturer, and started his career in his father's studio. Dupré exhibited first at the Salon in 1831, and three years later was awarded a second-class medal. In the same year he came to England, where he was deeply impressed by the genius of Constable. From him he learned how to express movement in nature; and the district of Southampton and Plymouth, with its wide, unbroken expanses of water, sky and ground, gave him good opportunities for studying the tempestuous motion of storm-clouds and the movement of the sea driven by the wind. He received the cross of the Legion of Honour in 1848. The painting is layered with discolored varnish and will go through a dramatic visual change during treatment.

Jules Dupré "The Storm"
H. 21
5/8" X W. 25 5/8" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

After Treatment
           
           


           

William Watson "On the Mountain-Side" 1904
H. 24" X W. 36" Before Treatment
179. This oil, by the British artist William Peter Watson (1883-1932), is owned by Purdue University. Watson studied at The Royal College of Art between 1877 and 1891 and in Paris at The Academie Julian. He exhibited at principle London galleries from 1883 and at The Royal Academy from 1885. No other information has been found on Watson which is somewhat surprising with an artist of this skill.
           

During Cleaning

Aftr Treatment
           
           


           
180. The Muskegon Museum of Art, Muskegon, Michigan is renowned for its fine permanent collection of American and European paintings. The collection includes works by Curry, Hopper, Homer, Chase, Whistler, Pissarro, Sisley and Cranach. This initial group of four oils includes a rare study piece by John Singer Sargent (1856-1925), arguably America's finest portrait artist. A previous Case Study, featured a historical and treatment review of his "Portrait of General Lucius Faichild."
           

Sargent "Jacob Wrestling with the Angel"
H.6
1/2" X W. 6 1/4" After Treatment

Robert Reid "Daydreams" 1913
H. 28" X W. 22" Before Treatment
           

Reid During Cleaning

After Treatment
           

F. Ballard Williams "The Grand Canyon" 1911
H. 14" X W. 20" Before Treatment

Leon Dabo "The Bay"
H. 30" X W. 34" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Tretment

After Tretment
           
           


Home, Page 37, 38, 39

 





Barry Bauman Conservation
Contact: Mr. Barry Bauman
1122 N. Jackson Ave., River Forest, IL. 60305
Ph.(708)771-0382  Fax.(708)771-1532
e-mail:barrybbc7@yahoo.com