2005
Participating Institutions
 
 
101. These six paintings well represent the extensive, diversified collection of the Phoenix Art Museum, Phoenix, Arizona. The two Old Master "Madonna and Child with St. John" images of are both early 16th-Century paintings. The left image is attributed to Michele Tosini (1472-1528) while the right is by Antonio Sacchis, called Pordenone (1483-1539). Could there be any more of an American icon than Grandma Moses (1860-1961)? Her piece is balanced with the wonderful American Impressionist Hugh Bolton Jones (1848-1927). The lower left painting is by William Keith (1839-1911). His work is clearly influenced by Ryder and Blakelock. These artists added varnish to the paint layer causing an overall darkening of the spatial effects. The final painting is by the Scottish artist Thomas Faed (1826-1900). Due to moisture intake, the varnish layer has oxidized resulting in a visually-disturbing, blanched appearance. Proper removal of the surface film will return the original intent.
           

Michelle Tosini
"Madonna and Child with St. John"
H. 33" X W. 24" Before Treatment

Antonio Sacchis, called Pordenone
"Madonna and Child with St. John"
H. 19 1/4" X W. 16" Before Treatment
           


Grandma Moses
"Home of Hezekiah King, 1776" 1943
H. 20" X W. 24" Before Treatment


Hugh Bolton Jones
"Connecticut Landscape"
H. 36" X W. 56" Before Treatment
           


William Keith
"Moonlight"
H. 30" X W. 38" Before Treatment


Thomas Faed
"Woman Beside a Fire"
H. 30" X W. 21" Before Treatment


Keith During Cleaning


Faed During Cleaning


Moses During Cleaning


Jones During Cleaning


Tosini During Cleaning


Pordenone During Cleaning

Tosini After Treatment

Pordenone After Treatment


Moses After Treatment

Jones After Treatment

Keith After Treatment

Faed After Treatment
           
           


           
102. The right portrait is a wonderful image of Chief Oshkosh. Oshkosh was born in 1795 and was the grandson of the Chief of the Menomonee tribe. He fought in the War of 1812 on the British side but later changed allegiance to the Americans in the Black Hawk War. Oshkosh led a colorful life and died in consequence of a drunken brawl. His death came just a few days after this portrait was completed in 1858 by Samuel Marsden Brookes (1816-1892). The painting, in European dress, is reminiscent of the "Portrait of Black Hawk" on page 20. Both portraits are from the outstanding collection of Native Americans owned by the Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin.
           


Kurt Schaldach "Fitting Out"
H. 32" X W. 25" Before Treatment

 
Samuel Marsden Brookes
"Chief Oshkosh"1858
H. 36" X W. 29" Before Treatment


Schaldach During Cleaning


Brookes During Cleaning


After Treatment

After Treatment
           
           

           
103.The Flint Museum of Art's holdings span the centuries. The upper left image is in the style of a 16th-Century portrait while the upper right image is a beautiful Dutch Baroque portrait by Gerard ter Borch (1617-1681). The image is reminiscent of the soft sensual surface in Van Dyck's, "Portrait of Frans Snyders" in the Frick Collection. Cleaning will offer a dramatic change. The lower left image is by Francois Cachoud (1866-1943). Cachoud studied with Delaunay and also with Gustave Moreau, becoming widely known for his landscape scenes, especially those depicted in the moonlight. He first exhibited at the Salon de Paris in 1892, and showed regularly there until 1940. He won the gold medal at the l'Exposition Universelle in Paris in 1937. The lower right scene is by Heinrich Rasch (1840-1913).
           


Anon. "Portrait of a Man"
H. 9" X W. 7" Before Treatment


Gerard ter Borch "Portrait of Pieter Boel"
ca.1650  H. 17 1/2" X W. 12 3/4" Before
           


F. Cachoud "Moonlight Road to Savoy"
1877  H. 25" X W. 32" Before


Heinrich Rasch "Harbor Scene"
H. 23" X W. 46" Before Treatment
           


Cachoud During Cleaning


Rasch During Cleaning
           

Anon. "Portrait of a Man"
During Cleaning

ter Borch "Portrait of Pieter Boel"
During Cleaning

After Treatment

After Treatment

After Treatment

After Treatment
           
           


           
104. The DuSable Museum of African American History is one of America's outstanding museums devoted to the collection, documentation, preservation, study and dissemination of the history and culture of Africans and Americans of African decent. The holdings are outstanding as portrayed by these three oils by some of our country's greatest artists. The beautiful upper left image is by William S. Carter (1909-1996). Carter was born in St. Louis but moved to Chicago to study at the Art Institute of Chicago. He was a local WPA artist and taught at the well-known South Side Community Art Center in Chicago for many years. The powerful left image is by Charles White (1918-1979). White was well known for his abilities in many media including lithography, linocut, charcoal and ink as well as his riveting oils. The lower image is by the great Henry Ossawa Tanner (1859-1937). The Art Institute of Chicago owns Tanner's haunting "Self-Portrait" while his American icon, "The Banjo Lesson " is in the collection of the Huntington Memorial Library in Hampton, Virginia. Tanner initially studied with Thomas Eakins at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts in Philadelphia. In 1891 he moved to Paris where he studied at the Academie Julian. His "Resurrection of Lazarus" won the gold medal at the Salon of 1897 and was later purchased by the French government. Tanner died in Étaples, Normandy, France in 1937.
           


William Carter "Madonna"
H. 24" X W. 20" Before Treatment


Charles White "A Man to Remember"
H. 30" X W. 24" Before Treatment
           


Henry Ossawa Tanner "Florida Everglades" 1894
H. 14" X W. 18 1/8" Before Treatment


Tanner During Cleaning


White During Cleaning


Tanner After Treatment

White After Treatment
           
           


           
105. The Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum opened this year to much acclaim. The 200,000 square foot complex is situated in downtown Springfield, Illinois. The Presidential Library opened to the public on October 14th, 2004. The Presidential Museum fully opened on April 19, 2005, culminating with a formal dedication ceremony attended by Governor Blagojevich and President and Mrs. Bush. The collection includes a copy of the Gettysburg Address and a signed Emancipation Proclamation. The below paintings are a part of the museum's extensive holdings.
           


Anon. "Portrait of Benjamin Edwards"
H. 32" X W. 28" Before Treatment


P. Servar "The Battle of Bull Run" (Detail)
1919  H. 60" X W. 118" Before Treatment


During Cleaning


During Cleaning


After Treatment


After Treatment Detail
           


Home, Page 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

 





Barry Bauman Conservation
Contact: Mr. Barry Bauman
1122 N. Jackson Ave., River Forest, IL. 60305
Ph.(708)771-0382  Fax.(708)771-1532
e-mail:barrybbc7@yahoo.com