2005
Participating Institutions
 
           
81. Focusing on domestic interiors, Ethel Robertson Gath(1892-1972) sought to portray the grandeur of simplicity. She presents her subjects in a manner that is direct, straightforward and, at the same time, familiar. The Dutch Baroque artist offered many of the same scenes as did Regional American artists of the 1930's. As a child, Gath took art classes in Buffalo, New York and at the Corcoran School of Art. Between 1933 and 1949, she received numerous awards and exhibited at the Corcoran Gallery, Washington, D.C. These four oils are owned by the Flint Institute of Arts, Flint, Michigan. They are being prepared for a retrospective exhibit entitled, The Simple Life:Paintings by Former Flint Artist Ethel Robertson Gath. The museum was established in 1928 and possesses masterpiece paintings by Rubens, Cassatt, Thomas Hart Benton and Andrew Wyeth.

Ethel Gath "The Checkered Tablecloth"
Undated H. 24" X W. 30"
Before Treatment

Ethel Gath "Still-Life with Bottles"
Undated H. 24" X W. 30"
Before Treatment


Ethel Gath "Lemon Pies"
Undated H. 20 5/8" X W. 26"
Before Treatment


Ethel Gath "The Sewing Machine"
Undated H. 32" X W. 40"
Before Treatment


Ethel Gath "The Checkered Tablecloth"
During cleaning


Ethel Gath "Still-Life with Bottles"
During Cleaning


Ethel Gath "Lemon Pies"
During Cleaning


Ethel Gath "The Sewing Machine"
Upper Right Corner During Cleaning


Ethel Gath "The Checkered Tablecloth"
After Treatment


Ethel Gath "Still-Life with Bottles"
After Treatment


Ethel Gath "Lemon Pies"
After Treatment


Ethel Gath "Still-Life with Bottles"
After Treatment
           
           


82, The Indiana State Museum is the owner of this oil-on-canvas painting by Clifton Wheeler (1883-1953). The painting is being conserved as part of a loan for an upcoming exhibit. Wheeler was born in Hadley, Indiana. He was a pupil of William Forsyth in Indianapolis, and William Merrit Chase and Robert Henri in New York. He also traveled to Europe on two occasions. Known for his Indiana Impressionistic style, Clifton exhibited at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Art, the Richmond (IN) Art Association, the Golden Gate Expo, and the Hoosier Salon (1925-1953). The wonderful charm of this painting is clearly reminiscent of Puvis de Chevannes.


Clifton Wheeler "Four Figures" ca. 1930
H. 18" X W. 24" Before Treatment


During Cleaning


After Treatment
           
           

83. The Harry S. Truman National Historic Site is the owner of these two family portraits. The home is operated by the National Park Service in Independence, Missouri. The left portrait represents the President's daughter, Margaret Truman Daniel (1924-). Margaret was an aspiring concert soprano and had a brief career on the stage, radio and television. She is Honorary Chair of the Harry S. Truman Library Institute Board of Directors and, since 1977, has served as Secretary to the Board of Trustees of the Harry S. Truman Scholarship Foundation, which awards scholarships to college students planning careers in government. She has also written several books. The right portrait is of Bess Truman (1885-1982), wife of the President. This portrait hung originally in the Oval Office in the White House. Truman met his wife at Sunday school when he was six and she was five. He often said his wife was "the boss" and their daughter was "the one who bosses her."

Greta Kempton "Port. of M. Truman"
1947 H. 50 1/2" X W. 40"
After Treatment

Greta Kempton "Port. of Bess Truman"
1950 H. 32" X 26"
After Treatment
           
           

84, The Neville Public Museum in Green Bay, Wisconsin is the owner of these three very different paintings. On the left is an abstract painting by Hazard Durfee. Durfee was born 87 years ago. He is a graduate of Yale University's Art School. Durfee was featured in Life magazine in 1950 as one of "the country's best artists under 36." In that same year, he was included in the Metropolitan Museum of Art's "American Painting Today" exhibition. Durfee's work has been in the Whitney Museum's Biennial several times. The central still-life is by Louise Blesch while the right religious image is unsigned and undated but probably early 19th-century.


Hazard Durfee
"Seascape II"
H. 20" X W. 36" After


Louise Blesch
"Still-Life With Fan"
H. 16" X W. 20" Before


Unsigned
"Presentation Scene"
H. 9" X W. 13" Before


During Cleaning


After Treatment
           


85. In 1888 the Fort Wayne Museum of Art began as an art school. Classes were first taught by J. Ottis Adams and later by William Forsyth. Both artists became important regional influences whose skills had been sharpened by tutelage at the Royal Academy in Munich. By 1897 these art classes were formally organized under the official name, The Fort Wayne Museum of Art School. In 1921, the function of museum was added to the school. The museum split with the art school in 1977 and is now housed in a 1984 facility designed by architect Walter Netsch of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill. The central image is by one of the museum's founders, William Forsyth (1854-1935). The left image is by Detlef Samman (1857 - 1938). Samman was born in Germany and came to America in 1881. He became a prominent figure in the California Impressionist movement in the early 1900's. The right painting is by Cora Brooks (1885 - 1930).


Detlef Samman
"Monterey Cypress"
H. 48" X W. 36" 1916
After Treatment

 William Forsyth
"Lady with White Collar"
H. 18" X W. 14" 1922
Before Treatment


Cora Brooks
"Chinese Embroidery" 
H. 20" X W. 18"
After Treatment


During Cleaning


After Treatment
           


Home, Page 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20

 





Barry Bauman Conservation
Contact: Mr. Barry Bauman
1122 N. Jackson Ave., River Forest, IL. 60305
Ph.(708)771-0382  Fax.(708)771-1532
e-mail:barrybbc7@yahoo.com