2017
Participating Institutions
 
 
806. The Scholte House, Pella, Iowa, built in the winter and spring of 1847-1848, was the fulfillment of a promise Dominie Hendrik Scholte made to his wife Mareah to alleviate her homesickness and disappointment. He had promised to build her a house with all the comforts of the home she had left in The Netherlands. Remaining much as it was in Pella's early days, some rooms now play different roles, and others have been added. In this treasured house lies much of the earliest history of de kolonie. Since the Scholte house was built in 1848, some of its 22 rooms have always been occupied by Scholte descendants. The last Scholte descendant to live in the house was Leonora Gaass Hettinga. She and her brother and sister-in-law, Peter and Norma Gaass, then gave the house to the Pella Historical Society in 1979 for use as a museum. These two 19th-century oils are part of the museum's collection.




Anon. "Swan Pond"
H. 18" x W. 24" Before Treatment


Anon. "Mr. Isaac Overkamp"
H. 25" x W. 19"





"Swan Pond" Detail Before Treatment


During Cleaning








After Treatment


After Treatment













807. These two egg-tempera paintings are by Todros Geller (1889-1949)  Geller was born in the Ukraine of Russia. In 1906, when he was seventeen years old, he immigrated with his family to Montreal, Canada. There he studied art, married and then moved to Chicago in 1918. He continued his art studies at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and became a leading artist within the city's art community. He was a source of inspiration to others, including Aaron Bohrod and Mitchell Siporin. Geller's works are in the collections of the Art Institute of Chicago, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Whitney Museum of American Art in New York, and the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C. These works are owned by the Spertus Museum, Chicago, Illinois.



Todros Geller "Hunger, Red Earth"
H. 16" x W. 20" Before Treatment


Todros Geller "The Friends of Lot"
H. 30" x W. 24" Before Treatment





During Cleaning


During Cleaning








After Treatment


After Treatment







           
808. These oils represent 117 paintings that have been conserved for the Indiana State Museum over the last twelve years. The paintings are from the hand of T. C. Steele, the leading artist of the Hoosier School of Midwestern Impressionists. Steele was born in 1847 and died in 1926. During his formative years he moved to Munich and studied at the Royal Academy of Art with Frank Duveneck and Ludwig Loefftz. In 1885, he returned to Indianapolis and established an art school with William Forsyth. While his landscapes are his signature style, he was also a very fine portrait artist. Today he is remembered as Indiana's finest artist from the early part of the 20th century.



T. C. Steele "View of the Porch"
H. 20" x W. 24" Before Treatment



Clifton Wheeler "Man with a Moustache"
H. 24" x W. 18" Before Treatment








During Cleaning


During Cleaning








After Treatment


After Treatment








T. C. Steele "Morning in the Ravine"
H. 22" x W. 29" Before Treatment


T. C. Steele "Fall Landscape"
H. 25" x W. 30" Before Treatment








During Cleaning


During Cleaning








After Treatment


After Treatment














809. The work to the right is by Theodore Robinson (1852-1896). Robinson was raised in Wisconsin and went on to study in Paris with Gérôme and Laurent. He became one of the pioneers of Impressionism in America. The piece is owned by a Wisconsin Historical Society.


Theodore Robinson "Gathering Water"
H. 10" x W. 10 1/2" Before Treatment




During Cleaning


After Treatment



















810. Robert Reid was born in Stockbridge, Massachusetts. He studied at the Art Students League in New York then journeyed to Paris for three years of study at the Académie Julian. A self-indulgent man, social by nature and much given to gambling, in due course his expenses exceeded his income and he was impelled to retreat to Colorado Springs where he established an art academy and painted portraits to recoup his losses. In 1927 he suffered a stroke, but undaunted he learned to paint with his left hand. He died in New York at the age of sixty-seven. The imaged oils are owned by the Richmond Art Museum, Richmond, Indiana. Over 100 paintings have been conserved for the museum.








 Simon Baus "Still Life"
H. 40" x W. 32" Before


R. Reid ""Peonies"
H. 33" x W. 26" Before


M. Eggemeyer "Landscape"
H. 34" x W. 28" Before








During Cleaning


During Cleaning


During Cleaning





After Treatment


After Treatment


After Treatment











Home, Page 162, 163, 164

 





Barry Bauman Conservation
Contact: Mr. Barry Bauman
1122 N. Jackson Ave., River Forest, IL. 60305
Ph.(708)771-0382  Fax.(708)771-1532
e-mail:barrybbc7@yahoo.com