2016
Participating Institutions
 
 
721. The Morrill Memorial & Harris Library has served the residents of Strafford, Vermont, since 1929. It was built as a memorial to Senator Justin Morrill and his son by his sister in law, Louise S. Swan. The Library was created, in part, to house the Senator's personal collection of paintings and almost 2,000 books. In 1862, Senator Morrill sponsored what is known as the “Morrill Act.” Officially titled "An Act Donating Public Lands to the Several States and Territories which may provide Colleges for the Benefit of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts," the Morrill Act provided each state with 30,000 acres of Federal land for each member in their Congressional delegation. The Act was signed into law by Abraham Lincoln on July, 2nd, 1862. This portrait, owned by the Library, was carried out by Constantino Brumidi best known and honored for his fresco work in the Capitol Building in Washington, DC.








Brumidi "Senator Justin Morrill"
H. 28" x W. 20" Before Treatment


During Cleaning



During Cleaning


After Treatment













           
722. William Merritt Post was an accomplished tonalist painter known for his quiet and poetic rural landscapes. The artist studied under Carroll Beckwith at the Art Students League. He became an associate of the National Academy of Design and won a prize at a National Academy exhibition in 1910. Post also won a prize at the Pan-Am Exposition, Buffalo, in 1901 and exhibited widely at all the major venues including the Brooklyn Art Association, the Boston Art Club, and the Art Institute of Chicago. The imaged painting is owned by the Brauer Museum of Art, Valparaiso, Indiana.


William Post "Autumn Landscape"
H. 24" x W. 36" Before Treatment





During Cleaning


After Treatment
















723. John Nielson (1881-1954) was a portrait artist who first exhibited in the 1912 Milwaukee Art Society Salon. Later, in 1923, he exhibited at the Twenty-Third Exhibition of the Milwaukee Journal's Gallery of Wisconsin Art. His most recent exhibition came in 1984 at the Haggerty Museum of Art at Marquette University. This portrait is owned by the Civil War Museum in Kenosha Wisconsin.

John Nielson "Abraham Lincoln"
H. 42" x W. 33" Before Treatment








During Cleaning


After Treatment



















724. John William Vawter (1871-1941) was mostly a self-taught artist, but did attend the John Heron Art Institute in Indianapolis and the Art Students League in New York. He first started doing illustrations for the Indianapolis Sentinel. He then met the poet James Whitcomb Riley in 1893 and became his illustrator for the next thirty years. In 1926, when T.C. Steele died, Vawter took Steele's ashes to his burial site. He was a charter member for the Brown County Art Gallery Association and is well recognized today as one of Brown County's finest landscape artist. The below oils are from the collection at Wabash College, Crawfordsville, Indiana.



John Vawter "Spring Landscape"
H. 30" x W. 36" After Treatment


After Maes "Woman Sewing"
H. 16" x W. 12" After Treatment



















725. Carl Weeks made a fortune in the cosmetic industry. During a 1921 visit to Salisbury, England, he and his wife Edith encountered the Kings House, a fifteenth-century manor. They knew immediately they had found the inspiration for their Des Moines home. Construction began in 1923 and required five years to complete. Today, the Salisbury House & Gardens is home to a library, fine art, rare books, historic documents, decorative arts and musical instruments all of international significance. The halls of Salisbury House are lined with great works of art from such acclaimed artists as Anthony Van Dyck, Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema, Sir Thomas Lawrence, Joseph Stella, and Lillian Genth. The below oils by Lillian Genth will be featured in an upcoming exhibit.





Lillian Genth "The Gypsy"
H. 18" x W. 15" Before Treatment


Lillian Genth "Plains Indian"
H. 29" x W. 24" Before Treatment






During Cleaning


During Cleaning








After Treatment


After Treatment








Home, Page 146, 147, 148

 





Barry Bauman Conservation
Contact: Mr. Barry Bauman
1122 N. Jackson Ave., River Forest, IL. 60305
Ph.(708)771-0382  Fax.(708)771-1532
e-mail:barrybbc7@yahoo.com