2016
Participating Institutions
 
 
706. The oil portraits of John Zeigler and his wife Ellen were completed by Emily H. White in her Chicago studio in 1894. Zeigler was a Civil War Union Captain. in the 11th Regiment, Illinois Cavalry, Company E. The 11th Regiment was organized in Peoria, Illinois, and mustered in December 20, 1861. John was injured in battle and left in March of 1864. The 11th Illinois Cavalry Regiment saw action at: Shiloh, Corinth, and Vicksburg. He died in 1896. All three portraits are owned by the Peoria Historical Society, Peoria, Illinois.

The central portrait came in unattributed. During cleaning, the artist's signature and the date were discovered in the lower right corner, A. Schon 1892.
           


E. White "John Ziegler
H. 24" x W. 20" Before



A. Schon "Carl Moeller"
H. 30" x W. 26" Before



E. White "Ellen Ziegler
H. 24" x W. 20" Before









During Cleaning


During Cleaning


During Cleaning








After Treatment


After Treatment


After Treatment













707Augustus Rockwell was born in 1822.  Although not a primary member of the Hudson River School, his landscapes often display the delicate rendering of nature and unique treatment of light associated with this style. In addition to painting well-designed and very competent landscapes, Rockwell was also an accomplished portraitist.  The artist traveled throughout New York and completed portraits of Reverend Samuel Kirkland, a missionary and ambassador for Native Americans, and Millard Fillmore, thirteenth president of the United States. Rockwell died in 1882. The below oils are owned by Beloit College, Beloit, Wisconsin.








Augustus Rockwell "Foggy Morning"
H. 17" x W. 14" Before Tratment


A. Rockwell "Adirondack Ironworks"
H. 17" x W. 14" Before Tratment




During Cleaning


During Cleaning








After Treatment


After Treatment















708.  The left image is by Frank Girardin (1856-1945). He studied with Frank Duveneck at the Cincinnati Art Academy. Surprisingly, at one time he also was a professional baseball player for the Cincinnati Reds. He played an important role in the development of the Art Association of Richmond, now the Richmond Art Museum. It was during his time in Indiana that he received the most recognition for his work. He exhibited three paintings in the Indiana building at the St. Louis World's Fair in 1904 and was a member of the Society of Western Artists. The below paintings are owned by the Richmond Art Museum, Richmond, Indiana.








Frank Girardin "Sunshine and Shadow"
H. 10" x W. 14" Before Treatment


Belle Smith "Portrait of a Man"
H. 17" x W. 14" Before Treatment








During Cleaning


During Cleaning








After Treatment


After Treatment








Silas Jerome "Portrait of a Woman"
H. 24" x W. 20" Before Treatment


E. K. Williams "The Bridge"
H. 34" x W. 40" Before Treatment








During Cleaning


During Cleaning








After Treatment


After Treatment









709.  Marcus Mote (1817-1898) was born into a Quaker family in 1817 near Waynesville, Ohio. He was a self taught artist who, as a child, made his own paints and drawing materials from charcoal and natural plant dyes.  His local Quaker Meeting did not believe in drawing and painting and threatened to kick Marcus out of their church. Fortunately, his family was able to convince the church of their son's God given talent. In 1837, he moved to Lebanon, Ohio.  For years he had a studio across the street from The Golden Lamb Hotel and in 1843 he drew former President John Quincy Adams picture there. The hotel is still in existence today. After moving to Richmond, Indiana, Mote opened an academy of design and taught drawing in its public schools. He also circulated a petition that resulted in a law authorizing the teaching of art in Indiana’s schools. The below oils were sent in for treatment by the Wayne County Historical Society, Richmond, Indiana.








S. Woody "Male Portrait"
H. 30" x W. 25" Before


M. Mote "Port. Woman"
H. 17" x W. 14" Before


S. Woody "Female Portrait"
H. 30" x W. 25" Before








During Cleaning


During Cleaning


During Cleaning








After Treatment


After Treatment


After Treatment







           
710Arthur Schwieder began exhibiting at the Art Institute of Chicago in 1909 when he was twenty-five years old.  In 1928, he formed a summer artist colony at Inwood Park, on the upper fringe of Manhattan, and continued instruction through the 1950s, bringing to light many artists whose work was shown in regular Schwieder Group Exhibitions at New York galleries, including the prestigious Montross Gallery. Schwieder exhibited his own work at The Salons of America, The Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Art Annuals and the Society of Independent Artists. He died in 1965. The below oils are from the collection of the University of Missouri Museum of Art and Archaeology, Columbia, Missouri.








A. Mohr "Pent. & Dion."
H. 30" x W. 40" Before


A. Schweider "Summer"
H. 42" x W. 30" Before


N. Cikovsky "Garden"
H. 26" x W. 32" Before








During Cleaning


During Cleaning


During Cleaning








After Treatment


After Treatment


After Treatment









Home, Page 143, 144, 145

 





Barry Bauman Conservation
Contact: Mr. Barry Bauman
1122 N. Jackson Ave., River Forest, IL. 60305
Ph.(708)771-0382  Fax.(708)771-1532
e-mail:barrybbc7@yahoo.com