2015
Participating Institutions
 












671. The Sinsinawa Dominican Sisters have a fine and varied collection of Old Master replicas carried out by two of their members in the early part of the 20th Century. The Dominicans are located in Sinsinawa, Wisconsin. Samuel Mazzuchelli, who built a local men's college in 1846, founded the Sinsinawa Dominican Sisters in 1847. This religious order then founded a women's college and high school in Sinsinawa in 1865. The sisters are dedicated to preaching and teaching the Gospel, believing that at the heart of ministry is relationship. The sisters are committed to participating with others to build a holy and just society in the United States and abroad through ministry, or service to others.

George Turner "The Travellers"

H. 30" x W. 20" Before Treatment








During Cleaning


After Treatment













672. Founded in 1983, the Geneva Lake Museum, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, was originally located in a house at 818 Geneva Street.  In the 1990's the city moved the Waterworks Department, which had been housed in the 1929 Wisconsin Power & Light building, to a new larger facility.  The Geneva Lakes History Buffs persuaded the city to let them use the old building for a museum. In 2004 the museum moved to that building at 255 Mill Street.  The below oils are from their collection.








Illegible "Landscape with Deer"
H. 18" x W. 24" Before Treatment


John Bullock "Burton Farm"
H. 5" x W. 7" Before Treatment






 

During Cleaning


After Treatment













673. The Scholte House, Pella, Iowa, built in the winter and spring of 1847-1848, was the fulfilment of a promise Dominie Hendrik Scholte made to his wife Mareah to alleviate her homesickness and disappointment. He had promised to build her a house with all the comforts of the home she had left in The Netherlands. The last Scholte descendant to live in the house was Leonora Gaass Hettinga. She gave the house to the Pella Historical Society in 1979 for use as a museum. The below oils are from the hand of G. H. Nollen. The Executive Director of the Pella Historical Society, Ms. Kathy Miller, is curating an October exhibit titled, Gerhardt Nollen: Pella Iowa's Dutch Master, for the  Iowa Museum Association's Annual Conference.








Gerhardt Nollen "Sara Nollen"
H. 24" x W. 20" Before Treatment


Gerhardt Nollen "Jan Nollen"
H. 24" x W. 20" Before Treatment








During Cleaning


During Cleaning








After Treatment


After Treatment



















674. The below oils are owned by the Hoyt Sherman Place in Des Moines, Iowa. The left image is by Henri Guinier (1867-1927), a well-established French Barbizon artist who studied at the Academy Julian in his early years. In 1896, he won the coveted Prix de Rome prize and, in 1900, a silver medal at the 1900 World Exposition. These treatments are part of the Place's "adopt-a-painting" conservation program. To date, including these two, 36 oils have received treatment.








Henri Guinier "The Harbor"
H. 45" x W. 54" Before Treatment


Christensen "Harvesters"
H. 48" x W. 62" Before Treatment








During Cleaning


During Cleaning








After Treatment


After Treatment



















675. Robert Hale Ives Gammell (1893–1981), American muralist, portrait painter, art teacher, and writer on art, was born in 1893. In 1911, he enrolled in the School of the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. It was there that he made contact with painters who had been trained in Europe, and later Hale himself studied at the Académie Julian and the Atelier Baschet in Paris. His classical training is easily seen in the below oil. These three paintings are from the collection of Culver Academies, Culver, Indiana.








W. Gryier "Dr. Blair"
H. 20" x W. 16" Before


Ives Gammell "Moses"
H.17" x W. 17" Before


Anon. "St. Anthony"
H. 7" x W. 5" Before
           


During Cleaning


During Cleaning


During Cleaning








After Treatment


After Treatment


After Treatment














Home, Page 136, 137, 138

 





Barry Bauman Conservation
Contact: Mr. Barry Bauman
1122 N. Jackson Ave., River Forest, IL. 60305
Ph.(708)771-0382  Fax.(708)771-1532
e-mail:barrybbc7@yahoo.com