2013
Participating Institutions
 
 
556. Noted for impressionist watercolor and pastel landscapes, George Baker (1878 - 1943) was a well-known Indiana landscapist. He was born in Muncie and studied at the Cincinnati Art Academy. He exhibited at the Hoosier Salon and worked in the Richmond, Indiana, area belonging to the Richmond Group of artists. The Richmond Art Museum , the owner of the below paintings, put on a retrospective exhibition of his work in 2001.
           

George Baker "Winter Hills"
H. 30" x W. 50" Before Treatment

Carl Oscar Borg "Landscape"
H. 18" x W. 26" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment
           
           


           
557. The Henry County Historical Society Museum, located in the home of Civil War General William Grose, is listed on the Indiana Register of Historic Landmarks. It is a Victorian Italianate home that was built in New Castle, Indiana, in 1870. The Society, one of the oldest and largest in Indiana, was founded in 1887. The primary function of the museum is to promote and preserve the history of Henry County, Indiana. The below 1880 portraits are by Henry Dousa.
           


Henry Dousa "Elizabeth Denius"
H. 27" x W. 22" Before Treatment

Henry Dousa "Solomon Denius"
H. 27" x W. 22" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After treatment

After Treatment
           
           


           
558. Alfred Juergens (1867-1934) was born in Chicago on August 5th, 1866. He began his artistic education there, where he studied at several institutions, most notably the Chicago Academy of Design. Juergens, then traveled to Munich where he studied under Kochler and the Munich Royal Academy, where he was also a pupil of Wilhelm von Diez. By the turn of the century, Juergens had established his studio in Oak Park, Illinois, and regularly exhibited his still lifes and landscapes at The Art Institute of Chicago. He was one of the first local artists to receive a one-man show at the Art Institute. This oil is owned by the Oshkosh Public Museum, Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

Alfred Juergens "Lily Pond"
H. 30" x W. 36" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

After Treatment
           
           


           
559. The Sinsinawa Dominican Sisters have a fine and varied collection of Old Master replicas carried out by two of their members in the early part of the 20th Century. These oils represent three of these images. The Sinsinawa Dominicans are located in Sinsinawa, Wisconsin. Samuel Mazzuchelli, who built a local men's college in 1846, founded the Sinsinawa Dominican Sisters in 1847. This religious order founded a women's college and high school in Sinsinawa in 1865. The sisters are dedicated to preaching and teaching the Gospel, believing that at the heart of ministry is relationship. The sisters are committed to participating with others to build a holy and just society in the United States and abroad through ministry, or service to others.
           



After Sassoferrato
"Mater Dolorosa"
H. 28" x 22" Before

After Del Sarto
"Modonna of the Harpies"
(Detail) H. 44" x W. 33" Before

After Maratta
"Head of Christ"
H. 26" x W. 23" Before
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment

After Treatment
           
           


           
560. Born in Utica, New York, Arthur Davies (1862-1928) gained a reputation for ethereal figure paintings, ones that expressed lightness and mysticism. He was also a principal organizer of the 1913 Armory Show that revolutionized American art by introducing modernism to the viewing public. He attended the Chicago Academy of Design from 1879 to 1882 and the Art Students League in New York in 1887. His paintings are considered to be in the symbolist tradition, comparable to the work of the French artist Pierre Puvis de Chavannes. The below oils are from the collection of the University of Iowa Museum of Art, Iowa City, Iowa.
           

Arthur Davies "After the Storm"
H. 14" x W. 20" Before Treatment

Thomas Hotchkiss "Greek Ruins"
H.16" x W. 22" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment
           


Home, Page 113, 114, 115

 





Barry Bauman Conservation
Contact: Mr. Barry Bauman
1122 N. Jackson Ave., River Forest, IL. 60305
Ph.(708)771-0382  Fax.(708)771-1532
e-mail:barrybbc7@yahoo.com