2013
Participating Institutions
 
 
541. Born in Cornwall, Vermont, Sheldon Peck (1797-1868) became an itinerant portrait painter. He was self-taught and did not sign his work, but his distinctive style of using a long brushstroke flanked by two shorter ones--resembling a rabbit's foot has become his signature. His early works, family portraits in Vermont, were brushed onto wood panels, and he used somber colors, dark backgrounds, and detailed clothing. An 1840 census listed Sheldon Peck's occupation as farmer. The 1850 census recorded his occupation as a portrait painter. These three oils are owned by the Flint Institute of Arts, Flint, Michigan. They are being prepared for an upcoming portrait exhibit.
           

Peck "Mr. Murray"
H.27" x W. 21" Before

H. Raeburn "Jane Douglas"
H. 30" x W. 25" Before

Peck "Mrs. Murray"
H.27" x W. 21" Before
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment

After Treatment
           
           

           
542. Born and raised in Boston to impoverished parents, George Healy was one of the best-known portrait painters of the mid to late 19th century. In 1855, he established a home in Chicago from which he frequently traveled to the East Coast and the South to paint portraits of leading politicians and aristocrats. After the Civil War, he returned to Europe for 25 years but left at age 79 because of his disdain for the new turns of the Parisian art scene that included Impressionism.This portrait is owned by the Springfield Art Association in Springfield, Illinois. The Association oversees the historic Edwards Place home. The wonderfully preserved Italianate mansion was a center for social activity at the time. Prominent citizens and politicians such as Abraham Lincoln and Stephen Douglas were entertained there at lavish dinner parties.

G.P.A. Healy "George Judd"
H. 30" x W. 25" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

After Treatment
           
           


           
543. The below oils are owned by Marquette University's fine Haggerty Museum of Art, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The University's collection includes numerous old master paintings and a growing collection of modern works of art and graphics. Both imaged paintings are layered with dirt and discolored varnish. Cleaning will reinstate the intended palette and the three-dimensional quality of the images.
           

Attributed to Workshop of Jan van Goyen
"Maas at Dordrecht" ca. 1630
H. 26" x W. 39"
Before Treatment

Anon. "Stanislaus Lalumiere"
H. 30" x W. 25" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment
           
           


           
544. The below oils are owned by Wabash College, Crawfordsville, Indiana. The college has now established a conservation program to preserve many of their fine 19th-Century works of art. The college was founded in 1832 and its endowment places Wabash among the highest colleges in the nation in per-student endowment. The 60-acre wooded campus contains 25 buildings predominantly of Georgian architecture. Caleb Mills taught the first class of Wabash students in 1833 and his below portrait is an important piece from the college's collection.
           

 

Anon. "Caleb Mills"
H. 9" x W. 6" Before Treatment

Anon. "Edmund Otis Hovey"
H. 30" x W. 25" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment
           

Anon. "Port of a Man"
H. 30" x W. 25" Before

Henshaw "Seascape"
H. 22" x W. 28" Before

Anon. "Maria Elston"
H. 29" x W. 24" Before
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning

During Cleaning

After Treatment

After Treatment

After Treatment
           
           
545. Pauline Lennard Palmer was born in McHenry, Illinois in 1867. As a young woman, Palmer attended the Art Institute in Chicago. Travel to Paris provided study under artists Simon, Collin, and Courtois. Palmer was involved in numerous organizations. She was a member of the Chicago Municipal Art League, Chicago Art Guild, a charter member of the Chicago Women's Salon, and a director of the Chicago Drama League. In 1918, she was elected the first woman President of the Chicago Society of Artists. She also served as President of the Chicago Association of Painters and Sculptors from 1929 until 1931. Starting in 1899, she exhibited annually at the Art Institute of Chicago for 27 years, where she became a legend by winning nearly all of the museum's major awards, purchase prizes, and honorable mention citations. Pauline Palmer died on a trip to Norway in 1938. In 2007, one of her pieces sold for $120,000.00. The below oils are from the collection of Valparaiso University's Brauer Museum of Art, Valparaiso, Indiana.
           

P. Palmer "Child"
H. 32" x W. 26" Before

P. Palmer "BEach Scene"
H. 30" x W. 40" Before

Anon. "Dean"
H. 29" x W. 23" After.
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment
           


Home, Page 110, 111, 112

 





Barry Bauman Conservation
Contact: Mr. Barry Bauman
1122 N. Jackson Ave., River Forest, IL. 60305
Ph.(708)771-0382  Fax.(708)771-1532
e-mail:barrybbc7@yahoo.com