2004
Participating Institutions
 
           
45. The image on the left is by Howard Freeman Sprague (1871-1899). Sprague was a naval artist during the Spanish-American War. He went on to be an illustrator for Harper's magazine. He became ill at a very young age and died at 28. Robert Hopkin (1832-1909) was born in Glasgow, Scotland and came to America when he was 9. As a young artist he became interested in marine painting and completed over 400 detailed works. He also received several large-scale commissions including decorations for the New Orleans Cotton Exchange and the Detroit Opera House. The paintings are owned by the Detroit Historical Society.
           

Howard Freeman Sprague "Seneca" 1890
H. 21" X W. 36" Before Treatment

Robert Hopkin "Old Dredge on the Rouge River"
H. 10" X W. 18" Before Treatment

During Cleaning
 
During Cleaning

After Treatment

After Treatment
           

           
46. The Ellwood House Museum is located in Dekalb, Illinois. Built in 1879 by Isaac L. Ellwood, the mansion remains with its original furnishings. The original estate included 1,000 acres of property. Ellwood owned one-half of the patent rights to barbed wire. In 1874, its first year of production, 10,000 pounds of wire were produced. By 1879 this figure had risen to 50-million pounds. In 1898, Ellwood established the American Steel and Wire Company which became a subsidiary of the U.S. Steel Corporation in 1901. The hand-painted photo to the right is a double portrait of Patience and Isaac Ellwood, grandchildren of Isaac L. Ellwood.
"Portrait of Patience and Isaac Ellwood" ca.1917
H. 24" X W. 20" Before Treatment

During Cleaning

After Treatment
           

           

"Portrait of a Man" 1927
H. 48" X W. 31" After Treatment
47. The Hellenic Museum and Cultural Center was founded in 1992. The museum has become the anchor of Chicago's Greektown redevelopment. The area is well known for its culinary offerings, a true Chicago neighborhood. The museum's mission is to document and preserve the history of the Greek immigrant experience in America, to provide a venue for the cultural aspirations of the community and to showcase the celebrated Hellenic culture from antiquity to the present day.
           
           

           
48. Located in the state-of-art Center for the Arts on the Valparaiso University campus, the Brauer Museum of Art is home to a nationally recognized collection of 19th and 20th-Century American art and includes works by Frederic Edwin Church, Asher B. Durand, Childe Hassam and Georgia O'Keeffe. It also houses the largest known collection of works by Junius R. Sloan, a Hudson River School painter who lived and worked in the Midwest. Other focus areas within the collection include world religious art and Midwestern regional art. These four initial pieces are all from the museum's 20th-Century collection.
       

Fran Larsen "Abstract"
H. 32" X W. 40" Before Teatment

Thurman Nicholson "Nude on a Ledge"
H. 36" X W. 30" After Treatment

Percey Sloan "Landscape"
H. 16" X W. 20" Before Treatment

Vin Hannell "Farm Scene"
H. 15" X W. 18" Before Treatment

During Cleaning

During Cleaning

During Cleaning

After Treatment

After Treatment

After Treatment
           
           

           
49. Established in 1886, the "King's Daughters Society", as it was called, was the first interdenominational organization for social reform. Today the organization is called the International Order of the King's Daughters and Sons. Mary Lowe Dickinson was the Order's first General Secretary and served in this position from 1886 until her death in 1914. Her portrait, painted by Theodore Pine (1828-1905), is owned by Friendship Manor, a home committed to the well-being of older adults and a project of the Order's Illinois branch. Pine was a New York artist who moved to Chicago in 1866. His entire studio was destroyed in Chicago's fire of 1871.  
Theodore Pine "Portrait of Mary Lowe Dickinson"
1870   H. 33" X W. 23" Before Treatment

During Cleaning

After Treatment
           

           

50. The Davenport Municipal Art Gallery opened its doors in 1925 as the first municipal art gallery in the State of Iowa. Today the collection includes over 3,500 works of art from many cultures and periods. The museum is now in the process of relocating to a downtown location in a new 70,000 sq.ft. facility. This move is a direct result of an extraordinary twelve-million dollar gift from the V.O. and Elizabeth Kahl Figge Foundation. In honor of this contribution, the new facility will be named the Figge Art Museum. This oil-on-canvas painting is titled, "The Pets." It is attributed to the English artist Edwin Henry Landseer. (1802-1873)


Edwin Henry Landseer "The Pets"
H. 26" X W. 21" After Treatment 
           


Home, Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

 





Barry Bauman Conservation
Contact: Mr. Barry Bauman
1122 N. Jackson Ave., River Forest, IL. 60305
Ph.(708)771-0382  Fax.(708)771-1532
e-mail:barrybbc7@yahoo.com