2013
Participating Institutions
 
 
526. The University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri has a vast and varied collection of fine art and archeological material. These two oils represent the diversity of their holdings. One is a WPA piece from 1936 while the other is a German panel painting from the 15th Century. The Museum of Art and Archaeology was founded in 1957 as the Study Collections for the Art History and Archaeology departments. In 1961, it became the Museum of Art and Archaeology. In that year, fourteen Old Master paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Foundation were given to the university, and the first gallery of the museum was opened. Today, the museum is housed in the 1892 Pickard Hall. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
           

Gerrit Hondius "The Mill"   1936
H. 24" x W. 29" Before Treatment

Anon. "Flight into Egypt"  15th Century
H. 39" x W. 31" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning

           

After Treatment

After Treatment

           
           


           
527. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) was the largest and most ambitious New Deal agency, employing millions of unskilled workers to carry out public works projects, including the construction of public buildings and roads, and operated large arts, drama, media, and literacy projects. At its peak in 1938, it provided paid jobs for three million unemployed men and some women. Liquidated in 1943 as a result of low unemployment due to the worker shortage of World War II, the WPA provided millions of Americans with jobs for 8 years. The below oils were commissioned under the WPA Federal Arts Project. Today, they are owned by the Racine Art Museum in Racine, Wisconsin.
           

William Palmer "Foibles of Medecine"
H. 20" x W. 30" Before Treatment

John Van Auken "Lincoln Memeorial Drive"
H. 20" x W. 28" Before Treatment
           

After Treatment

After Treatment
           


           
528. The DuSable Museum of African-American Art is one of Chicago's cultural jewels. Under the guidance of Curator/Chief Operations Officer Charles Bethea the museum has embarked upon an ambitious conservation program conserving almost fifty paintings over the last six years. The below three oils well represent the museum's unparalleled holdings in the Midwest.
           

A. Tyler "Elton Williams"
H. 40" x W. 30" Before

Gourfain "Mtn. Goats"
H. 26" x W. 35" Before

Franklin "Landscape"
H. 30" x W. 15" Before

During Cleaning

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment

After Treatment
           


           
529. Frank Duveneck was born in Covington, Kentucky, in 1848. He briefly attended school before beginning a career as an artist. While still a teenager, Duveneck provided artwork for Roman Catholic churches and gained experience in painting, carving, and gilding. In 1870, he traveled to Munich, Germany, and enrolled in the Munich Royal Academy. In 1873, he returned to the United States, where his work received favorable reviews. He taught briefly but soon returned to Europe to continue his studies. Duveneck opened his own art school in Munich and taught more than sixty students before returning to the United States in 1888. He settled in Cincinnati where he taught and worked closely with the Art Academy of Cincinnati and eventually became its chairman. Frank Duveneck died in 1919. The below oils are from the outstanding collection at the Richmond Art Museum, Richmond, Indiana. Under the guidance of Director Shaun Dingwerth, over 30 oils have been conserved for this collection.
           

F. Duveneck "Girl in Shawl"
H. 20" x W. 16" Before

J. Bundy "Sycamores"
H. 36" x W. 40" Before

A. Dawson "Black Cat"
H. 32" x W. 24 " Before
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment

After Treatment
           
           


           
530. It is quite a discovery that an institution not known for an art collection would have a wealth of riches. The Elgin Mental Health Center has several paintings by the great Indiana artist George Aldrich. Aldrich was born in Worcester, Massachusetts and studied art at the Art Students League, NYC, MIT, and in Paris at the Academie Julien. He exhibited regularly at the Art Institute of Chicago. Both in Indiana and in Chicago, Aldrich's reputation was at its height in the late 1920s and early 1930s. He won a host of awards at the Hoosier Salon, the Art Institute, and the Chicago Galleries Association, where he was featured in a solo show in 1927. He died in 1941.

George Aldrich "Fisherman"
H. 30" x W. 40" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

After Treatment
           


Home, Page 107, 108, 109

 





Barry Bauman Conservation
Contact: Mr. Barry Bauman
1122 N. Jackson Ave., River Forest, IL. 60305
Ph.(708)771-0382  Fax.(708)771-1532
e-mail:barrybbc7@yahoo.com