2012
Participating Institutions
 
 
491. Ralph Clarkson is one of Chicago's most important portrait artists. Clarkson was born in 1861 in Massachusetts. He studied art in Boston and with the renown Lefebvre in Paris. He eventually came to Chicago in 1896 and became an instructor and governing member of the Art Institute. In 1898, he was a founding member of the Eagle's Nest Colony. The Colony acted as a summer retreat for a variety of artists including Lorado Taft and Hamlin Garland. The lease on the property lasted as long as one of the original founding members was alive. In 1942, the Colony ended upon the death of Ralph Clarkson. He is currently represented in the collections of the National Academy, New York , and the Art Institute of Chicago. The below portraits are owned by the University of Chicago and hang in the newly-renovated Harper Library.
           

Ralph Clakson "Albert Michelson"
H. 50" x W. 40" Before Treatment

Ralph Clakson "James Angell"
H. 50" x W. 40" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment
           

Unsigned "John D. Rockefeller"
H. 60" x W. 39" Before Treatment

Karl Buehr "William Rainey Harper"
H. 59" x W. 35" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment
           
           


           
492. The Tippecanoe County Historical Association, Lafayette, Indiana, has an extensive collection of manuscripts, letters, drawings, and paintings by the important 19th century artist George Winter (1809-1876). While not by Winter, the below oils are wonderful early-American portraits from their painting collection. They will both need extensive repairs to offer an exhibitable appearance.
           

Unsigned "Mrs. John Taylor"
H. 30" x W. 25 " Before Treatment

Unsigned "John Taylor"
H. 30" x W. 25 " Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment
           
           


           
493. The Museum of Wisconsin Art, West Bend, Wisconsin, is preparing to move into a new building. These four oils are being prepared for a planned future exhibit. Under the direction of Director Tom Lidtke, the grand opening is scheduled for the Spring of 2013.
           

Julius Christian Rehder "Untitled"
H. 31" x W. 40" Before Treatment

Maguerite Barnum "Milwaukee Harbor"
H. 16" x W. 20" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment
           

Gerrit Sinclair "Jones Island"
H. 25" x W. 30" Before Treatment

Marshall Glasier "The Artist and His Valley"
H. 14" x W. 12" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

 

During Cleaning
           

 

After Treatment

After Treatment
           
           


           
494. The Scholte House, Pella, Iowa, built in the winter and spring of 1847-1848, was the fulfillment of a promise Dominie Hendrik Scholte made to his wife Mareah to alleviate her homesickness and disappointment. He had promised to build her a house with all the comforts of the home she had left in The Netherlands. Remaining much as it was in Pella's early days, some rooms now play different roles, and others have been added. In this treasured house lies much of the earliest history of de kolonie. Since the Scholte house was built in 1848, some of its 22 rooms have always been occupied by Scholte descendants. The last Scholte descendant to live in the house was Leonora Gaass Hettinga. She and her brother and sister-in-law, Peter and Norma Gaass, then gave the house to the Pella Historical Society in 1979 for use as a museum. These two oils are from Mareah's hand.
           

Mareah Scholte "Landscape"
H. 48" x W. 36" Before Treatment

Mareah Scholte "Landscape with a Cottage"
H. 18" x W. 26" Before Treatment
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment

           


           
495. Allan Ramsay (1713-1784) was one of the foremost 18th-century British portraitists. On settling in London in 1739 Ramsay soon became a popular portraitist, although he reached the height of his powers only after his return to London from his second visit to Italy (1754­57). Ramsay painted numerous portraits in a style that anticipated Sir Joshua Reynolds' grand manner. His portraits of women are especially notable for their warmth and presentation, as well as for their technical facility. In 1767, Ramsay was appointed painter to George III. Most of this work was intended for government buildings. The below oils are owned by the Flint Institute of Arts, Flint, Michigan.
           

Ramsay "Mrs. Smythe"
H. 30" x W. 25" Before

Anon. "Hudson Palisades"
H. 22" x W. 28" Before

Frome "Young Woman"
H. 26" x W. 21" Before
           

During Cleaning

During Cleaning

During Cleaning
           

After Treatment

After Treatment

After Treatment
           
           


Home, Page 100, 101, 102

 





Barry Bauman Conservation
Contact: Mr. Barry Bauman
1122 N. Jackson Ave., River Forest, IL. 60305
Ph.(708)771-0382  Fax.(708)771-1532
e-mail:barrybbc7@yahoo.com